Comments from guests who have stayed at Kenmare Fáilte Hostel:
The room was clean and comfortable and the shower / bathroom area was clean and well decorated. The kitchen is a dream with the AGA cooker and the high quality cooking pans and equipment. Would we go back? most definitely. We arrived late, tired and hungry and maureen made us feel most welcome
Good hostel with large fully equipped kitchen and nice old furniture. It’s clean but they never cleaned the room while we were there. The location is centrical. Free tea and some snack is also available.
We stayed at Failte Hostel for a few nights and it was great. Clean, spacious room for three, nice view of the yard, quiet despite being on the streets intersection, easy to find, cozy common room, a great selection of books to read, spacious and very well equipped kitchen, helpful and polite staff, good wifi signal.
Our short flight from England was delayed…we made it to the Failte Hostel at around 11pm on a Wednesday.
A telephone number found on the front door with clear instructions to call should no-one answer after knocking.
Maureen, the hostel owner arrived within minutes of our call with friendly open arms, welcoming us to Kenmare.
We were guided through the hostel, Maureen pinpointing necessities, to our room.
Located on a junction there was inevitable noise from traffic though being really honest, this caused us no problems at all. The weather meant our window had to stay open though due to the amount of walking/fresh air etc we took no rocking to sleep.
A fantastic location meaning minutes walking to the cafes/restaurants and pubs.
Such a friendly town, perfectly located for the Ring of Kerry and the Ring of Beara.
I have to say that this hostel is definitely among my favourite after staying in many Irish Hostels over the years.
Many thanks to Maureen and Monica for making us so welcome.
Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
“My Favorite Hostel In Ireland”
Reviewed 2 September 2013
I have mountain-biked over 2,000 miles in Ireland staying in numerous hostels and campgrounds. The Failte Hostel in Kenmare is my absolute favorite. The location is excellent. The rooms are large, airy, clean, and have the best beds. The bathrooms are spotless and the WiFi access is free with a good signal. The staff are very friendly and helpful as well. There are several bike racks in the rear to securely store your ride and a bicycle shop right across the street if you need some work done. This hostel is easily my #1 recommendation in Ireland.
“Just perfect…highly recommended!”
Reviewed 2 September 2013
Stayed for two nights with a group of friends from Limerick to walk in Gleninchaquin Park. The accommodation is warm,spotlessly clean and very spacious. We got a lovely warm welcome to the Kingdom from the owners! The hostel is a perfect location for Kenmare’s cafes, tea shops, art galleries, pubs and restaurants. We will definitely be back!
Reviewed 31 July 2013 NEW
This independent hostel in Kenmare town is clean, organised, homely and spacious – all in one. The owner is friendly and welcoming. I especially liked the different eating areas so that we were not intruding on other guests when we ate our fish and chips, noisily, after a lovely day’s cycling. The hostel has bike parking, albeit uncovered and the other facilities leave nothing to be desired.
We had a four-person room and it was very spacious – most hostels would have fitted four more beds in that room.
Room Tip: As well as dorms there is a range of private rooms.
“cozy, friendly hostel – highly recommended”
Reviewed 7 May 2013
There were around 15 of us (university students) who visited, and they were incredibly accommodating here and made us feel very welcome to Kenmare. They gave us some great tips on where to go and made sure that we felt at home. The hostel itself is located in a perfect spot, right on a corner of one of the main streets in Kenmare, and it has a really cozy feel, with a kitchen and a living room with a fireplace. Everything was very clean and classy, and we had an amazing stay here. HIGHLY recommended – stay here if you have the chance!
“friendly, affordable and clean hostel”
Reviewed 6 May 2013
I stayed at this hostel with UCC Choral Society and my choir from 30th November to 2nd December 2012. We found this hostel to be affordable, clean and the staff were freindly and accessible. The facilities, such as the kitchen were perfect for our needs. The rooms are beautiful, rustic and traditionally Irish. The hostel also has a great location as we were situated in the middle of the town. I would definitely reccommend this hostel to anybody who wants to stay in Kenmare.
Very friendly family run hostel – would definitely recommend
This is a very friendly family run hostel, we found all the staff very helpful and friendly. The kitchen had excellent facilities. The rooms were clean, and provided good value for money. would definitely recommend this hostel. The hostel is on the corner of the main street, perfect for shops and restaurants, and only a few minutes walk down to the jetty/sea.
Absolute top hostel in Ireland (August 2012)
We’ve been there last week with a Scout group without reservation and have been welcome extremly warm. We got every help we need in a case of illness and are highly exalted about staying in this hostel. Compared with other hostels in Ireland a first class hostel.
Thanks a lot for all we expirienced while beeing in your hostel. Your kindness, flexibility and support are commendable
Your german Scout group
“Great place to stay in Kenmare!”
Great hostess, a great place to stay, and affordable too! Close to town and park. Maureen was fantastic and a helpful source of information for exploring Kenmare. Would definitely stay here again. Thank you!
- 100% Great hostel. Beautifully laid-out building. Good kitchen and a common. Very friendly staff. Top marks.
- Everything is well organized and kept clean and tidy at all times. The rooms and bathrooms are very clean as well. The place is quiet and very well situated in the colorful town of Kenmare. You can’t be disappointed by FAILTE HOSTEL.
“Great hostel in a great location”
Reviewed 9 August 2012
This is my fourth time staying here. Kenmare is a great base for discovering the beara peninsula, walking the Kerry way or cycling. The hostel is very clean, its right beside the centre of the town but not too close that it gets very noisy.
Its one of the few hostels I’ve stayed in where I’ve managed to have a hot shower any time day or night. The kitchen is big and spacious, I didn’t really make much use of it as I preferred to try out the local restaurants and cafes as there are lots to choose from in Kenmare.
Overall I enjoyed the stay in this hostel as you pretty much come and go as you please, and its all very relaxing. The hosts are very helpful and friendly. The hostel gets a wide mix of guests staying from young and old to families. Its wise to book ahead as it seems to get booked up on weekends.
Its good if you don’t want to spend a lot of money on accommodation.
I stayed only 1 night at Kenmare Fáilte Hostel and I will be staying for longer the next time! I arrived on Sunday evening after a very long day and received such a warm welcome that I felt at home straight away. The 4-bunk room was so clean and very spacious and also had a sink in it which was handy. The bathroom was next to the room and again so clean and spacious. The kitchen is lovely with free tea & coffee! The Hostel as a whole is wonderful and I will recommend it to everyone I meet. Thanks!
“Simply the best!”
Reviewed 25 July 2012
This was my third year staying at Failte Hostel and each year it gets better and better. The location is perfect, being right in the centre. Parking is easy nearby. My friends stayed in twin rooms and I stayed in a 4 bed dorm. We were all well pleased with our sleeping arrangements. Failte Hostel is so warm, friendly, clean and inviting. The kitchen facilities are fantastic and we love the Aga range creating such a homely atmosphere. Thanks to Aoife for looking after us so well and we will certainly be back. I recommend this hostel to every person who likes a good welcome, nice surroundings and a safe and comfortable environment. Oh, and it’s very reasonably priced!
- I stayed at the Kenmare Failte Hostel for a week and found it very friendly, welcoming and well cared for. I really liked the kitchen, complete with Aga for those damp Irish mornings, and the sitting room with its traditional furnishings and view down the main street. It felt like home for a week, highly recommended.
- Very nice place! We enjoyed very much our 2 nights stay at Fáilte Hostel, feeling like being at home-which is charming. Many Thanks…Sophie & Benoit from Paris.
- This is my second visit and this time was just as lovely as the first. Great atmosphere and superb facilities. Many Thanks…Rachael from NZ.
- Thank you for the warm welcome to Fáilte Hostel. It’s a place I’ll highly praise. Ger & Bastic.
- Again this year it was such a lovely time staying in the Hostel…keep up the good work…Annette.
- Thank you so much for a tranquil house to retreat to. We are truly blessed…thanks again Maureen & Aoife…Terri Hannigan.
- The staff was very helpful. Nice hostel to stay (Susanne).
- Cute hostel with nice atmosphere and character. We enjoyed our stay here. Thanks.
- Had a great stay here. Room was fantastic, it was VERY clean. Staff was super helpful (Carrie).
- The best hostel during our stay in Irland (Johannes).
- Ambiance sympa, hotel bien place et vraiment pleins de trucs Ã faire dans la region. Le personnel de l’hotel est tres accueillant, on se croirait vraiment chez soit ! Excellent, je le recommande vivement ! (Nice atmosphere, good hotel placa © and really full of stuff in the region. The hotel staff is very welcoming, it feels like home really is!Excellent, I highly recommend it!).
- Un hostel sympathique ou l’on se sent chez soi (A friendly hostel where you feel at home).
- Lovely hostel, owner knowledgeable about the local area and keep to help. Well placed at the end of the Ring of Kerry. Has an aga cooker with oven and it keeps the kitchen warm. Free parking in a car park 50yds down the road (Jessica).
- Great place to stop, very characterful and cosy property.
- Nice atmosphere, hostel well placed and really full of stuff in the region. The hostel staff is very welcoming, it feels like home really is! Excellent, I highly recommend it!
I write to let you know that our weekend in Kenmare was most enjoyable and that we were delighted with the hostel. We were especially delighted the warm kitchen at nighttime which was very conducive to having sing songs.
Thanks for your hospitality. Can you thank Monica and your daughter Aoife also.
As well as being voted ‘The Best IHH Town Hostel in Ireland′ & Failte Ireland approved – we are also recommended by Lonely Planet, Routard, Lets Go and Rick Steves GuideBooks.
Monday, November 14, 2011
Kenmare Failte Hostel – well done!
I have just returned from a cycling tour in Ireland where I have used
independent hostels. If you were to award star ratings to hostels in your
organisation the above hostel would achieve the maximum rating! I have
visited it 4 times in the last 12 years-it is very well run, spotlessly
clean and maintained to a very high standard both inside and out. The owner
is to be congratulated…John McEntee
“Top Class Hostel in Great Location”
Reviewed 6 July 2011
The Fáilte Hostel in Kenmare has it all. It’s in a great location right in town. The rooms are spacious and mostly en-suite, with very comfortable beds. The kitchen/dining areas are really well equipped and there is a big lounge too for a quiet read. Outside there’s a BBQ area as well as bike racks. The wardens are really friendly, helpful and accommodating. We stay in many hostels regularly but this is our favourite. And it’s by far the cleanest hostel – it’s really spotless. The Fáilte is just a great place.